Standards & codes
NDT is often prescribed by codes and standards for the fabrication of components, safety-critical parts, and in-service equipment. Therefore, it is critical for all refinery, chemical plant, gas plant, and pipeline owners to have a thorough understanding and experience in the interdisciplinary field of NDT.
In addition to the factors listed above (Industry Application section), personnel should continuously develop knowledge about evolving technology and performing up-to-date procedures.
Specific codes, standards, specifications, regulations, and recommended practices may depend on the country and industry performing NDT. The following is a list of organizations (standards bodies) that develop and publish industrial codes, standards, and recommended practices for NDT methods relating to the oil and gas and chemical processing industries:
- The American Society for Nondestructive Testing(ASNT)
- ASTM International
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers(ASME)
- American Petroleum Institute(API)
- American Welding Society(AWS)
- National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors(NBBI)
- International Organization for Standardization(ISO)
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
- European Pressure Equipment Directive (PED)